Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Lois Ehlert


Lois Ehlert is one of the author/illustrators that I want ALL of the Panthers to know.  She inspires creativity and using your hands to make things.  Her HANDS book is one that held countless connections for me.  She recounts the ways that her parents used their hands and tools in their creations and the encouragement that they gave to her to be a maker.  This is where her determination to become an artist was born.  My parents must have been cut from the same cloth.  I have many of the very same tools that Ehlert  displayed, and we created a small gallery of those items.  The comments that I heard from students as we examined the books left me with a smile.  "My dad has a workshop with those kinds of tools, and he taught me how to hammer, too!"  "I want to learn to sew!"  We are growing a new generation of makers.  Come by the library, take a look, and be inspired by Lois Ehlert.

No comments:

Post a Comment